Tuscan Pork Chops with Rosemary
Tuscan cooking is characterized by having simple food, not covered in heavy sauces. Serve with angel hair pasta and garlic cheese bread.
4 boneless pork chops, 3/4-inch thick
10 sun-dried tomato halves, coarsely chopped
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup Madeira or port
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 cup cold water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Fresh rosemary sprigs
- In a small saucepan cover sun-dried tomatoes with chicken broth and Madeira. Bring to boiling; remove from heat. Let stand about 10 mintues to plump tomatoes.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Brush chops with a little oil and brown on each side. Remove chops from skillet.
- Add shallot and garlic to skillet; cook over low heat until tender but not brown. Stir in tomatoes with the liquid and chopped rosemary. Return chops to the skillet. Cover tightly; cook over low heat for 5 to 6 minutes or until chops are just done. Remove chops to a serving platter; keep warm.
- Combine water and cornstarch; add to skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens.
- Top the chops with tomato mixture and garnish with rosemary sprigs, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories 247 calories Protein 26 grams Fat 9 grams Sodium 268 milligrams Cholesterol 68 milligrams.
Recipe provided courtesy of National Pork Board.