Arugula Bread Salad
Rustic Italian bread salad with arugula, toasted chunks of garlic bread, roasted red onion, fennel, roasted red pepper, toasted pine nuts, seedless grapes and shaved Parmesan cheese dressed in a balsamic dressing.
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
1 medium red onion, peeled, sliced into half moons
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, fresh minced
4 slices rustic bread
4 cups arugula, washed and dried
1 fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced
1/2 cup roasted red bell pepper, 1/4 inch thick strips
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
1 1/2 cups California green or red seedless grapes, picked from stem and rinsed
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shaved or grated
- In a small bowl whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Place red onions in baking dish lined with foil. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of prepared dressing and toss well. Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350°F (175°C) for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Mix 1 tablespoon olive oil with crushed garlic. Brush onto bread slices. Broil or grill bread for 1 to 2 minutes on each side until toasted.
- Cut bread into strips about 1/2 inch wide. Place bread, roasted onions, arugula, fennel, bell pepper, pine nuts and grapes in large bowl, and toss with remaining vinaigrette.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of California Table Grape Commission.