Asparagus, Papaya, Shrimp 'n' Pasta Salad
Recipe courtesy of California Asparagus Commission.
1 pound asparagus
1 medium papaya halved, seeded and peeled
1/3 cup light sour cream
1/4 cup papaya or mango nectar
Grated peel of 1/2 lemon
6 ounces dry fusilli or other curly pasta, cooked, rinsed, drained ( 3 cup cooked)
1/3 pound small shelled and cooked shrimp
1/4 cup green onions
8 Boston or Bibb lettuce leaves
- Trim and rinse asparagus spears.
- In a large skillet, cook asparagus until crisp-tender, about 3 to 5 minutes Do not overcook. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Chill and set aside 12 spears; cut remaining asparagus into 1" pieces.
- Remove seeds and cut half of papaya into eight 1/2" lengthwise slices - chill. Cut remaining half into bite-size pieces.
- In large bowl, combine sour cream, nectar, chutney and lemon peel. Add cooled pasta, mix well. Stir in asparagus and papaya pieces, shrimp and green onions. Chill briefly.
- To serve, spoon pasta mixture on lettuce leaves and arrange papaya and asparagus spears. Garnish with lemon twists or wedges and fresh mint, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 295; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 80mg; Total Carbs: 50g; Fiber: 6g; Protein: 17g; Sodium: 193mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Asparagus Commission.