Beef Steak Salad with Dried Cherries
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1 beef top sirloin steak, cut 1-inch thick
4 small or 2 medium heads Boston lettuce, torn
1/2 cup dried cherries or dried cranberries
1/4 cup crumbled Bleu cheese
1/4 cup pine nuts or coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine dressing ingredients in medium bowl. Remove and reserve 1/3 cup; cover and refrigerate.
- Cut steak lengthwise in half and then crosswise into 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick strips. Add beef to remaining dressing; toss to coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes.
- Remove beef from marinade; discard marinade.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add 1/2 of beef; stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes or until outside surface of beef is no longer pink. (Do not overcook.) Remove from skillet. Repeat with remaining beef.
- Combine lettuce and reserved dressing in large bowl; toss to coat. Arrange beef over lettuce; sprinkle with cheese, cherries and nuts, as desired. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 373; Total Fat: 21g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 56mg; Total Carbs: 15g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 29g; Sodium: 323mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.