Caprese Salad (Insalata Caprese)
The caprese salad, made with fresh mozzarella, is the most famous and refreshing of all Italian summer dishes.
1 Mozzarella di Bufala Campana
1 large beef tomato or 4 plum tomatoes
2 stems of fresh basil
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt to taste
- The experts say that Mozzarella di Bufala Campana should be savored freshly made. If it has been refrigerated, remove it and bring it to room temperature several hours before serving.
- Wash and slice the tomato.
- Wash the basil and remove the leaves from the stems.
- Slice the Mozzarella di Bufala Campana.
- Arrange a slice of tomato, then a slice of mozzarella, overlapping them on an oval or round serving dish. Drizzle the olive oil, sprinkle some salt, garnish with the basil leaves.
Makes 2 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of The Italian Trade Commission.