Chopped Vegetable and Maine Lobster Salad
In the style of a classic Cobb salad, this elegant composed salad features lobster, avocado, mango, mixed greens and jícama served with a smoky citrus-chipotle dressing.
2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
1 cup orange juice, reduced from 4 cups
1/4 cup lime juice
1 piece chipotle chile, canned
1 cup olive oil
To taste granulated sugar, salt and ground black pepper
6 cups romaine lettuce, shredded
6 cups iceberg, shredded
1 pound lobster meat, cooked
1/2 cup mango, 1/4-inch dice
3/4 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, 1/4-inch dice
3/4 cup red bell pepper, seeded, 1/4-inch dice
3/4 cup jícama, peeled, 1/4-inch dice
1/2 cup radish, thinly sliced
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
1/2 cup avocado, 1/2-inch dice
2 tablespoon cilantro, chopped coarsely
4 lobster claws, cooked, halved lengthwise
- For the Vinaigrette: Place the unpeeled garlic in a dry sauté pan over low heat. Let cook, rotating periodically, until soft all the way through and slightly charred. Peel and smash to a paste.
- Combine with reduced orange juice, lime juice, and chipotle in a blender. Turn on the machine and slowly add the olive oil to emulsify. Season with salt, pepper, and sugar to taste.
- Combine the romaine and iceberg lettuce. Place a mound of greens in the center of each dinner plate.
- Drizzle with a little of the vinaigrette.
- Place a line of each ingredient across the top of the lettuce, like a Cobb salad.
- Garnish with the lobster claw and drizzle with the vinaigrette.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Maine Lobster Promotion Council.