Citrus Spinach Salad
Loaded with vitamin C, vitamin A, and iron, as well as folic acid, this change-of-pace salad is great with chicken, pork or fish.
8 cups torn fresh spinach
1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup sliced green onions
2 slices bacon, chopped
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
1 cup Florida Orange Juice
1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 Florida oranges, peeled, halved, and sliced
1/2 of a medium sweet orange or red pepper, cut into thin bite-size strips
- In a large salad bowl combine spinach, mushrooms, and onions; set aside.
- In a 12-inch skillet or a Dutch oven cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove bacon; drain on paper towels. Set aside. Wipe out skillet with a paper towel.
- In a bowl combine cornstarch, orange peel, orange juice, garlic salt, and black pepper; add to skillet. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Add spinach mixture. Toss until coated. If desired, return salad to heat and toss 30 to 60 seconds more or until slightly wilted.
- Return mixture to salad bowl; toss in bacon, oranges, and pepper strips.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of The Florida Department of Citrus.