Fruited Barley Salad
Recipe courtesy of Georgia Pecan Commission.
2 cups water
1 cup quick-cooking barley
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 (1.23-ounce) granola bars
2/3 cup Georgia pecan halves
1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 cups chopped mixed fresh fruits, recommend kiwi, strawberries, fresh blueberries
Ground cinnamon for sprinkling
- In medium-size pot, heat water to boiling. Add barley and salt, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, uncovered, 5 minutes. Spread barley on baking sheet to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, cut granola bars into small crouton-like cubes; set aside.
- Toast pecan halves in skillet or oven until toasted, crisped, and fragrant; set aside.
- Combine yogurt and maple syrup, mixing until blended; set aside.
- When barley has cooled, transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the granola pieces, pecan halves, and fruit mixture, tossing gently.
- To serve, spoon salad onto individual plates. Serve with yogurt dressing and a shaker of ground cinnamon to sprinkle as desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Tip: For convenience, the barley can be made the night before and refrigerated, leaving just a few quick steps to make this healthy salad ready for a morning meal.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 251; Total Fat: 9g; Cholesterol: 1mg; Total Carbs: 37g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 4g; Sodium: 224mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Georgia Pecan Commission.