Grilled Artichoke and White Bean Salad
Grilled artichokes are always a hit and the baby ones are neat because you can eat the whole thing. Here they are grilled then added to a white bean salad with a zesty lemon vinaigrette.
12 baby artichokes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 cups cooked (or canned) white beans, (rinsed well and drained, if canned)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced small
1/2 red onion, peeled and diced small
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped pitted black olives
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cut off the top third of each artichoke, snip the sharp tips from the remaining leaves, and trim the bottom slightly so that it's even all the way around.
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 1/2 quarts of water to a boil. Toss in the artichokes and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or until you can easily pierce them with a fork but they still offer some resistance. Drain and immediately immerse in cold water to stop the cooking.
- Cut the artichoke in half lengthwise, sprinkle them with vegetable oil and salt and pepper to taste, and grill them over a medium-hot fire, cut side down for about 5 minutes, or until the cut sides are well browned.
- In a medium bowl, combine the artichokes with the beans, garlic, red pepper, onion, and thyme. Toss well, season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Make the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients and whisk together well. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss. This can be served right away, but it is much better if allowed to sit for an hour for the flavors to mingle. It will keep, covered and refrigerated, for about 3 days.
Makes 4 servings.