Grilled California Chicken Salad
A lovely composed grilled chicken salad with green beans, orange and mango slices drizzled with a fruity cilantro vinaigrette and garnished with toasted sesame seeds.
1/4 cup papaya or apricot nectar
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 1/2 cups fresh green beans, diagonally cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
4 cups torn mixed salad greens
1 orange, peeled with pith removed and sliced
1 mango, seeded, peeled and sliced
Toasted sesame seed
- For Cilantro Vinaigrette: Combine all ingredients in a screw-top jar, cover and shake well.
- For Chicken: Rinse chicken, pat dry with paper towels.
- In a medium glass bowl, combine 1/4 cup vinaigrette and the chicken. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes or up to 4 hours. Drain, reserving marinade.
- Grill chicken on an uncovered grill directly over medium-hot coals for 12 minutes. Turn chicken and brush with reserved marinade; grill 3 to 6 minutes more or until tender and juices run clear. Discard any remaining marinade.
- For Salad: In a small saucepan cook the green beans, uncovered, in a small amount of boiling water about 15 minutes or until crisp tender. Drain beans.
- To Serve: Divide torn salad greens between two dinner plates. Slice each chicken breast crosswise into 6 to 8 pieces. Reassemble chicken breasts on top of the greens. Arrange the cooked beans, orange slices and mango slices on greens in a decorative manner. Shake reserved vinaigrette well; drizzle some over each serving. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seed.
Makes 2 servings.