Idaho® Potato Caprese Salad
Your family and friends are sure to love this delicious Italian take on potato salad based on the classic Caprese salad.
4 cups cubed Idaho® red potatoes, about 1-inch cubes, skin on
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 cloves fresh peeled garlic, finely chopped
1 bunch basil, roughly chopped
1 cup fresh pearl sized mozzarella*
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
Balsamic crème or vinaigrette (optional)
- Place the cubes potatoes in a medium sized pot and cover with cold water. The water should just cover all the potatoes by about 1-inch.
- Cook the potatoes over medium high heat until they are fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the heat and drain with a colander. Run cold water over the drained potatoes and let them cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Add the chopped basil, mozzarella and cherry tomatoes and gently toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- If desired, drizzle balsamic crème or vinaigrette on top and serve immediately.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Tip: If fresh mozzarella isn't available, use your favorite kind of block mozzarella and cut it into bite sized pieces.
Recipe created by Food Blogger, Gaby Dalkin of www.whatsgabycooking.com.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy Idaho Potato Commission.