Layered Vegetable Salad with
Blue Cheese Dressing
Layered salads are perfect sides for casual parties and are always a hit at potluck suppers.
1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
1 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
6 cups Romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
1 cup celery, sliced
1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
1 cup red, yellow and green pepper, diced
1/2 cup green onion, sliced
2 medium tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) Wisconsin Blue Cheese, crumbled
- For dressing: In small bowl, combine ingredients; mix well and chill.
- For Salad: In large salad bowl, layer lettuce, celery, peas, peppers, and green onion.
- Spread with prepared dressing.
- Arrange tomatoes and eggs on top.
- Sprinkle with almonds and blue cheese. Cover; chill several hours.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.