Maine Lobster Salad
"Maine cookbooks feature dozens of recipes for lobster salad, combined with mayonnaise and often flavored with dill or tarragon, celery, even chopped dill pickles. My family prefers their Maine lobster without mayonnaise, so I prepare Maine Lobster Salad with fresh tomatoes and cucumbers and pass the dressing." Recipe submitted by Denise Fickett-Harris, Calais, Maine.
2 cups mixed salad greens
1 pound Maine lobster, picked over for shells and cut into bite-sized pieces
2 cups vine-ripe cherry tomatoes, sliced in half or 2 large tomatoes, sliced
1 European seedless cucumber, thinly sliced
1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
Fresh basil leaves or tarragon leaves for garnish
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or tarragon
2 tablespoon grated onion
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Line four plates with the salad greens. Mound a quarter of the Maine lobster in the center of each plate.
- Arrange the sliced tomatoes and cucumbers on the plate. Garnish each plate with a lemon wedge and a piece of fresh tarragon or basil.
- Prepare the dressing: Whisk together the mayonnaise, chopped fresh herbs, grated onion and fresh lemon juice.
- Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Pour the dressing into a pitcher and allow each person to serve themselves.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Maine Lobster Promotion Council.