Mandarin Salad with Candied Almonds
The candied almonds provide a delightfully sweet nutty crunch to this refreshing romaine lettuce, spinach and Mandarin orange salad.
1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco brand sauce
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup slivered blanched almonds
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 (10-ounce) package Romaine salad mix
1 (10-ounce) package pre-washed fresh baby spinach
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1 (15-ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- For Dressing: Combine all ingredients in container of electric blender. Blend for one to two minutes until well blended.
- For Candied Almonds: In a heavy, nonstick skillet melt the sugar around the almonds, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat immediately and quickly spread onto foil-covered surface to cool. Break apart, if necessary.
- For Salad: Mix all salad ingredients in large serving bowl.
- Add the candied almonds, mandarin oranges and the dressing.
- Toss to coat well and serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): 273.6 calories; 58% calories from fat; 18.6g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 222.7mg sodium; 584.7mg potassium; 25.8g carbohydrates; 3.9g fiber; 20.1g sugar; 21.9g net carbs; 5.0g protein.