Mediterranean Bulgur Salad
This flavorful Mediterranean salad is served warm and makes a wonderful meatless main dish as well as a hearty side dish.
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
3/4 cup bulgur wheat, medium or coarse ground
1 cup lentils, dry – rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons garlic flavored olive oil*
1 cup sliced green onions
1 small red or yellow pepper, cleaned and cut into 1/2-inch squares
3 cups lightly packed spinach leaves, deveined & cut into thin strips
2 teaspoons dried dill weed
8 ounces plain, nonfat yogurt
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). To toast almonds, spread in a single layer on an un-greased baking pan. Bake 5 to 10 minutes in oven until almonds are slightly browned. Stir occasionally.
- Cover bulgur with 2 cups boiling water, set aside for 30 minutes.
- In a 1-quart saucepan, simmer lentils in 2 cups water for 20 minutes. Drain.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and sauté onion and pepper squares for 5 minutes.
- Thoroughly drain bulgur; mix with lentils and add to skillet. Stir well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook 3 minutes.
- Stir in yogurt and heat thoroughly. Salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with almonds. Serve immediately.
Makes 8 (side salad) servings or 3 to 4 main dish servings.
*To make your own garlic-infused olive oil, cook 2 peeled and bruised cloves of garlic in 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil for about 1 minute over medium heat, stirring frequently; remove garlic and proceed with recipe.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): 221 calories, 12 g protein, 29 g carbohydrates, 11 g fiber, 7 g fat (1 g saturated), 2 mg cholesterol, 137 mcg folate, 3 mg iron, 37 mg sodium.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wheat Foods Council.