Stars and Stripes Sparkling Gelatin
Use other color and flavor combinations of gelatin and cookie cutters for other holidays.
1 (8-ounce) container lemon yogurt
1 cup (8 ounces) cream-style small curd cottage cheese
1 (6-ounce) package lemon flavored gelatin
1 (6-ounce) package strawberry flavored gelatin
5 cups boiling water - divided use
1 (10-ounce) bottle berry flavored sparkling fruit juice, chilled
1 3/4 cups cold water
1 quart strawberries, sliced
1 (3-ounce) package black cherry flavored gelatin
- Combine yogurt and cottage cheese in blender container. Cover and process until smooth; set aside.
- Dissolve lemon gelatin and strawberry gelatin separately in 2 cups boiling water. Add yogurt mixture and 1 cup cold water to lemon gelatin, stirring to blend.
- Add juice and 3/4 cup cold water to strawberry gelatin.
- Chill each until thickened but not set.
- Fold strawberries into strawberry gelatin; pour half into 12 x 8 inch glass baking dish. Chill 5 minutes; let remaining strawberry gelatin stand at room temperature.
- Gently spoon lemon gelatin mixture over strawberry gelatin in dish. Chill 5 minutes.
- Gently spoon remaining strawberry gelatin over lemon gelatin. Chill several hours.
- Meanwhile, dissolve black cherry gelatin in 1 cup boiling water; pour into 8 inch square pan. Chill several hours.
- When ready to serve, cut star shapes from black cherry gelatin using cookie cutters; arrange on top of strawberry gelatin.
Makes 8 servings.
Tip: To speed thickening of lemon and strawberry gelatins, place bowl of gelatin in larger bowl of ice and water, stirring occasionally.
Recipe courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.