Taco Salad Deluxe
A terrific Tex-Mex-style taco salad, perfect for a casual buffet supper. Invite dinner guests to build their own taco salad.
Taco Meat Sauce:
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon oregano leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (16-ounce) can pinto, black or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup tomato-based salsa
Salad Accompaniments & Condiments:
1 (10-ounce) bag tortilla chips, slightly crumbled
Shredded iceberg or romaine lettuce
Shredded cheddar cheese
Sliced black olives
Chopped fresh cilantro
An assortment of hot sauces
- For Taco Meat Sauce: In a large skillet, brown ground beef over medium heat. Drain excess grease.
- To the meat mixture add the spices, salt, pepper and tomato sauce, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Stir in beans and heat thoroughly.
- For Taco Dressing: Combine 1 cup mayonnaise with 1 cup bottled salsa and mix well.
- To Serve Salad: Allow each person to build their own taco salad, starting with a bed of tortilla chips topped with the beef mixture, and then layered with the suggested condiments in the order given or as desired. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream, sprinkle with chopped cilantro and drizzle with the Taco Dressing. Pass the hot sauces and lime wedges for additional flavor.
Makes 8 servings.
Tip: 1 (1.25-ounce) package taco seasoning mix can be substituted for the spices, salt and pepper in the meat mixture.