Thai Grilled Lamb and Asparagus Salad
Recipe courtesy of the California Asparagus Commission.
1 to 1 1/2 pounds top round lamb
1/2 cup peanut oil
1/4 cup honey
2 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
1/4 cup red chili sauce
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 pound California asparagus
1/2 cup purple cabbage, finely sliced
1 pkg. rice noodles
6 leaves butter lettuce
1/2 cup fresh mint, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped dry-roasted salted peanuts
1/2 red bell pepper, julienned
2 limes, zest and juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped fine
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon red chili paste
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1/3 cup peanut oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- For the Lamb: Blend together the ingredients for the marinade in a small bowl. Marinate lamb for at least 1 hour to overnight.
- Remove lamb from marinade. Salt and pepper lamb on all sides. Brown lamb on all sides over a preheated grill. Finish in a 400°F (205°C) oven for 20 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 140°F (60°C). Let lamb rest for 10 minutes before slicing thin.
- For the Salad: Blanche the asparagus in boiling salted water until tender. Shock in a bowl of cold ice water to chill. Drain on paper towels. Cook rice noodles as directed on pkg. Rinse in cold water to chill. Toss with a few tablespoons peanut oil to keep from sticking.
- For the Dressing: Place all dressing ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake well to blend.
- To Assemble: Place 1 butter lettuce leaf on a plate. Add a small nest of noodles; top with purple cabbage and red bell pepper. Top with approximately 6 spears of asparagus. Add thinly sliced, room temperature lamb. Garnish with chopped peanuts and fresh mint. Drizzle with the dressing.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the California Asparagus Commission.