Yum Yum Salad
This salad's name describes it perfectly—yum, yum! A creamy lemon gelatin salad with finely chopped nuts and shredded cheddar cheese laced throughout.
A Family-Favorites Recipe.
1 (6-ounce) package lemon gelatin (or two 3-ounce packages)
1 cup cold water
1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts, reserving 2 tablespoons for garnish
- Combine gelatin with cold water in small bowl; set aside to soak.
- In small saucepan bring pineapple and sugar to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add the gelatin mixture, mixing well. Pour mixture into a large mixing bowl and refrigerate until mixture is partially set (it should have a slightly thick texture similar to raw egg white)*
- Meanwhile, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form; keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- Once gelatin mixture is partially set, stir in the cheese and nuts, then carefully fold in the whipped cream until fully incorporated.
- Pour into a lightly oiled 9 x 13-inch glass pan or other serving dish and garnish with the reserved nuts. Refrigerate until set, about an hour.
Makes 16 servings.
*To speed up the process of thickening the gelatin mixture, set the bowl inside a shallow pan filled with ice water and stir mixture until gelatin is of the right consistency, adding more ice to the water as needed.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/16 of recipe): 188.3 calories; 34% calories from fat; 7.5g total fat; 17.6mg cholesterol; 96.9mg sodium; 72.9mg potassium; 28.5g carbohydrates; 0.5g fiber; 27.4g sugar; 27.9g net carbs; 3.4g protein.