America's Favorite Cheddar Beef Burger
American's love their cheeseburgers! This burger adds tangy steak sauce to the beef equation for a nice contrast to the creamy flavor of the cheddar cheese.
1 pound ground beef
1/3 cup steak sauce - divided use
1 medium onion, cut into strips
1 medium green or red pepper, cut into strips
1 tablespoon butter
4 (1-ounce) slices Wisconsin cheddar cheese
4 hamburger buns
4 slices tomato
- Combine ground beef and 3 tablespoons steak sauce; shape into four patties. Set aside.
- In skillet, over medium heat, cook onion and pepper in butter until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining steak sauce; keep warm.
- Broil or grill burgers as desired.
- Top with cheese; cook until cheese melts.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons onion mixture onto bottom half of each bun. Top with burgers, tomatoes, remaining onion mixture and tops of buns. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.