Bacon and Brie Cheese Panini
with Avocado Mayo and Yam Fries
Hankering for something special to eat, but don't know what it is? Try this terrific panini sandwich recipe developed by chef Goose Sorensen.
1 ripe avocado, peeled, chopped
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
Ground black pepper
4 squares of focaccia bread, 4x4-inch, split
4 tablespoons melted butter
8 ounces Wisconsin Brie cheese, cut in 4 slices
12 strips applewood-smoked bacon, fried crisp
Thinly-sliced red onion
8 slices tomato
Head lettuce, cut into thin ribbons
4 small yams, peeled and cut in 1/4x1/4-inch strips
Oil for frying
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- For Mayo: Place avocado, mayonnaise, vinegar and cayenne in food processor or blender. Puree until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For Panini: Brush all sides of bread with melted butter. Place 2 slices of cheese on each slice of bread. Add bacon, onions, tomato and lettuce half the sides. Place other halves of bread on top, cheese side down.
- Grill sandwiches on hot griddle or skillet until bread is browned on both sides and cheese is melted.
- For Yam Fries: Heat oil to cover fries in small skillet to 375°F (190°C). Fry yams until they are crispy, about 5 to 7 minutes. Drain, drying with paper towels; season with salt and pepper.
- Slice sandwiches in half and place on plates with fries and mayo.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.