Basil Turkey Burgers
with Muenster Cheese and Grilled Vegetables
Recipe kindly provided by Production Chef Barry Greenberg at the University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa.
1 pound ground turkey
2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 large egg
1 ounce freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2/3 cup panko or coarse style bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced thin
1 medium zucchini, sliced thin on the bias
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh basil, julienned
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup prepared mayonnaise
1/2 pound Muenster cheese, sliced thin
4 leaves leaf lettuce
8 thin slices red ripe tomato
4 each Kaiser rolls, split
- For Turkey Burgers: Gently and thoroughly combine ground turkey, basil, onion, eggs, Parmesan, vinegar, bread crumbs, salt and black pepper. Form into 5 ounces patties. Cover and reserve in refrigerator.
- For Vegetables: Toss sliced vegetables in a mixing bowl with oil and salt and pepper.
- For Mayonnaise: Combine basil, vinegar and mayonnaise in a small mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and chill in refrigerator.
- To Grill: Place sliced vegetables on char-grill. Cook on both sides until tender. Reserve. Grill turkey burgers on char-grill, turning once until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (73.8°C). Remove to an oven-proof dish.
- For Assembly: Assemble grilled eggplant and zucchini on top of turkey burgers. Top each burger with 2 ounces of Muenster cheese. Melt in preheated broiler. Toast Kaiser buns on char-grill. Remove to plates and assemble burgers with lettuce and tomato slices. Serve with basil mayonnaise on the side.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of National Turkey Federation.