Beef Burrito with Pepper Jack Cheese and Black Beans
Wrap up a wholesome meal for your family in 20 minutes or less. This recipe is an excellent source of protein, manganese, fiber, and calcium and a good source of iron, vitamin K, vitamin B12, vitamin C, zinc, vitamin B3 (niacin) and vitamin A.
1/2 pound ground beef sirloin
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 cup chunky salsa - divided use
2 cups cooked brown or white rice
6 (9-inch) whole wheat flour tortillas
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (11-ounce) can corn kernels, drained
2 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese
1/3 cup sliced green onion, including green tops
- In a medium non-stick skillet, brown ground beef and garlic over medium heat; (break beef mixture up into smaller chunks with a spoon).
- Drain fat and stir in 1/2 cup of the salsa; set aside.
- Spread 1/3 cup of rice on center of a tortilla, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Scatter about 2 tablespoons of beans and 1 1/2 tablespoons of corn over rice.
- Spread 1/3 cup of the beef mixture and 1/4 cup of the cheese over corn. Top with 2 teaspoons of the salsa and a few pieces of green onion.
- Fold in two opposite edges of tortilla one inch each and roll up. Place, seam side down, on microwave safe dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Place burritos in a microwave oven and heat 1 minute or until heated through. Serve with remaining salsa.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): 450 calories, 16 g fat, 8 g saturated fat, 1 g monounsaturated fat, 0.5 g polyunsaturated fat, 640 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 1 g added sugar, 8 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of 3-A-Day of Dairy.