Beef Spring Rolls with Carrots and Cilantro
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1 pound beef top round, beef top sirloin steak or flank steak, cut 3/4-1-inch thick
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoon stir-fry sauce and marinade
8 rice paper wrappers (8-9-inch diameter)
1 cup shredded carrots
1 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro
Additional stir-fry sauce and marinade (optional)
- Cut beef steak lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick strips. Combine 1/4 cup stir-fry sauce and beef in medium bowl. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add 1/2 of beef; stir-fry 1 to 3 minutes or until outside surface of beef is no longer pink. (Do not overcook.) Remove from skillet. Repeat with remaining beef.
- Fill large bowl with warm water. Dip 1 rice paper wrapper into water for a few seconds or just until moistened. Rice paper will still be firm but will continue to soften during assembly. Place on work surface.
- Spoon 1/4 cup beef, 2 tablespoons carrots and 2 tablespoons cilantro evenly in a row across center of wrapper, leaving 1-inch border on right and left sides; drizzle with about 1 teaspoon reserved stir-fry sauce. Fold right and left sides of wrapper over filling. Fold bottom edge up over filling and roll up tightly. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling ingredients. Cut each spring roll diagonally in half.
- Serve with additional stir-fry sauce, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Tip: Eight large lettuce leaves may be substituted for rice paper wrappers.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 256; Total Fat: 5g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 61mg; Total Carbs: 21g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 31g; Sodium: 740mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.