Chicken Barbecue and Slaw Sandwiches
Chicken breasts are oven-roasted in a homemade barbecue sauce, shredded and served on toasted buns topped with a tangy coleslaw.
3 chicken breast halves, bone-in
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
4 cups cabbage, thinly sliced or chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- In small bowl, whisk together ketchup, apple cider vinegar, onion, garlic, chili powder and hot pepper sauce.
- Place chicken breasts in glass baking dish. Pour sauce over chicken, turning to coat all sides. Turn chicken skin-side up. Place in oven and bake 1 hour. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- While chicken is cooling, in large bowl, stir together cabbage, mayonnaise, yellow mustard, apple cider vinegar, celery seeds, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Discard chicken skin. Pull meat off bones; place meat in saucepan. Scrape sauce out of baking dish and stir into saucepan. Over low heat, warm chicken until hot throughout. Open buns on plates; top with chicken and slaw. Close buns and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.