Grilled Lamburgers with Lemon-Rosemary Aïoli
Recipe courtesy of the American Lamb Board.
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 small eggplant, cut crosswise into 4 slices, each about 1/2-inch thick
1 1/4 teaspoons salt - divided use
1 1/2 pounds ground American lamb
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and halved lengthwise
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 hamburger buns, split
- For Lemon-Rosemary Aïoli: Combine aïoli ingredients in a small bowl and mix well; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place eggplant slices in a single layer on a baking sheet; sprinkle both sides of slices liberally with 1 teaspoon of the salt and set aside.
- Combine lamb, garlic, pepper and the remaining salt in a medium bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape lamb mixture into 4 patties, each about 1/2-inch thick.
- Rinse eggplant slices and pat dry. Brush both sides of eggplant slices and tomato slices with olive oil. Grill eggplant and tomato, covered, over medium indirect heat 14 to 16 minutes.
- Place lamb patties over medium direct heat; grill, covered, 7 to 9 minutes to medium (160°F | 71.1°C) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Remove vegetables and burgers from grill. Place hamburger buns, split-side down, on the grill and toast 1 to 2 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Spread 2 teaspoons aïoli on bottom of each bun; top each with a burger. Place one eggplant slice and two tomato halves on each burger; top with additional 1 teaspoon aïoli and top of bun.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the American Lamb Board.