Grilled Turkey Sandwich with Gouda
Recipe developed by Sous Chef Kirk Brooks of the Doubletree Hotel in Tucson, Arizona.
1 large avocado, peeled and pitted
1 clove garlic, peeled
4 ounces mayonnaise
2 (8 to 10-ounce) turkey thighs, skinless and boneless
Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
8 slices pumpernickel bread
1/2 pound smoked Gouda cheese, sliced into 1 ounces slices
1 large tomato, sliced thin
1/2 head baby romaine lettuce, washed, drained and chilled
- For Mayonnaise: In a food processor, blend avocados and garlic Add mayonnaise and blend until smooth. Cover and refrigerate.
- For Sandwich: Sprinkle thighs with kosher salt and pepper.
- Spray grill rack with nonstick vegetable spray. Prepare grill for direct cooking method, using medium heat. Place thighs on grill rack, 4-inches from heat.
- Grill about 14 to 18 minutes turning frequently. Continue to grill until the internal temperature reaches 180°F (82.2°C). Let turkey thighs rest for 5 to 8 minutes.
- To Assemble: Slice grilled turkey into 1/4-inch slices. Spread mayonnaise on one side of each bread slice. For each sandwich, top one bread slice with 4 ounces grilled turkey slices. Layer 2 slices of Gouda atop turkey. Continue to layer with 2 slices tomatoes and a few romaine leaves. Cover with a top for the sandwich and slice on the diagonal. Repeat for remaining sandwiches. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of National Turkey Federation.