Italian Chicken Patty Melts
This recipe, created by Jean Quanbeck from Minot in North Dakota, was a finalist in the 45th National Chicken Cooking Contest.
1 pound ground chicken
8 ounces (1 cup) tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 pound pork Italian sausage
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/3 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 large onion
12 slices French bread
6 slices fresh mozzarella
6 slices Swiss cheese
1/2 cup butter
- In small saucepan, mix together tomato sauce, basil, red pepper flakes and garlic powder over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- In large bowl, place chicken, sausage, Italian seasoning, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Mix and shape into 6 thin, oval patties.
- In large skillet lightly sprayed with vegetable oil, place chicken patties. Cook over medium heat about 10 minutes, turning once; remove and keep warm.
- In same skillet, sauté onions until tender.
- To Assemble: On each of 6 slices of bread, place 1 slice mozzarella cheese. Top with chicken patty, onion slices and Swiss cheese. Place remaining slice of bread on each and butter outsides. Cook on griddle over medium heat until brown on each side and cheese is melted.
- Garnish with twisted orange slice and parsley sprig and serve with seasoned tomato sauce for dipping.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.