Meatloaf Focaccia Sandwich
No leftover meatloaf sandwich here, this is a unique and very tasty recipe for meatloaf.
Sun-Dried Tomato Spread:
2 tablespoons softened chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
Dash hot pepper sauce
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef or turkey
3/4 cup quick oats
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasonings
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 (8 to 10-inch round) loaf focaccia bread
8 slices provolone, mozzarella or Swiss cheese
8 large leafy lettuce leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- For Sun-Dried Tomato Spread: In small bowl, combine softened and chopped sun-dried tomatoes, mayonnaise, garlic and hot pepper sauce; mix well. Cover and chill.
- For Meatloaf: Combine all ingredients in large bowl; mix lightly but thoroughly. Press meat mixture evenly into 9 x 5-inch metal loaf pan.
- Bake 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until meatloaf is to medium doneness and center is no longer pink (160°F for beef; 170°F for turkey). Drain off any juices. Let meatloaf stand 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.
- For Sandwich: Cut focaccia in half, spread both inside surfaces with the Sun-Dried Tomato Spread. Layer bottom half with meatloaf slices, cheese and lettuce; cover half of focaccia. Cut in wedges to serve. Serve warm.
Makes 8 servings.