Here's a terrific recipe for a mini burger buffet that offers guests three classic flavor variations to choose from.
Basic Mini Burgers:
1 1/2 pounds 80% lean ground beef
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Smoky BBQ Cheddar:
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup hickory barbecue sauce
12 split small dinner rolls
24 sweet or dill pickle slices
3/4 cup prepared coleslaw
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup hot pepper sauce
12 split small dinner rolls
Optional Toppings: sliced celery, shredded carrots
1 (1.25-ounce) package taco seasoning mix
1/2 cup dairy sour cream
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
12 taco shells
Optional Toppings: shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese blend, salsa and sour cream mixture
- For Basic Mini Burger: Combine ingredients in medium bowl, adding desired Flavor Variation ingredients and mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into twelve 1/2-inch thick mini patties.
- Place patties on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 8 to 10 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 9 to 11 minutes) until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F (71.1°C), turning occasionally.
- Serve mini burgers as directed in desired Flavor Variation.
- For Smoky BBQ Cheddar: Add cheese to Basic Mini Burger mixture. Halfway through grilling, baste patties with barbecue sauce. Place burgers on bottoms of split dinner rolls. Top evenly with pickle slices and coleslaw. Close sandwiches. Serve with additional barbecue sauce, as desired.
- For Buffalo Style: Add ground red pepper and crumbled blue cheese to Basic Mini Burger mixture. While patties are grilling, combine melted butter and hot pepper sauce. Set aside. Place burgers on bottoms of split dinner rolls. Top evenly with thinly sliced celery, shredded carrots, as desired, and some of the hot sauce mixture. Close sandwiches. Serve with blue cheese dressing, as desired, and remaining hot sauce mixture.
- For Taco: Add taco seasoning mix to Basic Mini Burger mixture. While patties are grilling, combine sour cream and lime juice. Set aside. Cut burgers in half and place both halves in each of the 12 taco shells. Top evenly with desired toppings.
Makes 12 servings.
Test Kitchen Tips:
- Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef.
- Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutritional Information Per Serving for Smoky BBQ Cheddar Burger (1/12 of recipe using 80% lean Ground Beef): 250 calories; 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat); 50 mg cholesterol; 487 mg sodium; 17 g carbohydrate; 0.8 g fiber; 16 g protein; 3.6 mg niacin; 0.2 mg vitamin B6; 1.3 mcg vitamin B12; 2.2 mg iron; 17.3 mcg selenium; 3.2 mg zinc.
Nutritional Information Per Serving for Buffalo Style Burger (1/12 of recipe using 80% lean Ground Beef): 239 calories; 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat); 51 mg cholesterol; 390 mg sodium; 13 g carbohydrate; 0.5 g fiber; 15 g protein; 3.6 mg niacin; 0.2 mg vitamin B6; 1.3 mcg vitamin B12; 2.0 mg iron; 16.7 mcg selenium; 3.1 mg zinc.
Nutritional Information Per Serving for Taco Burger (1/12 of recipe using 80% lean Ground Beef): 195 calories; 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 45 mg cholesterol; 409 mg sodium; 8 g carbohydrate; 0.6 g fiber; 12 g protein; 2.2 mg niacin; 0.2 mg vitamin B6; 1.2 mcg vitamin B12; 1.1 mg iron; 9.2 mcg selenium; 2.7 mg zinc.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.