Olympic Souvlaki Sandwich
Recipe courtesy of California Ripe Olives.
1 1/4 pounds lean lamb leg meat, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1 cup whole California Ripe Olives, pitted
2/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1/4 cup chopped green onions
3 tablespoons tahini
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons hot paprika
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 (10-ounce) green pepper, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1 (6-ounce) red onions, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
4 whole wheat pita bread (6 1/2-inch)
8 wooden skewers
- Count out 24 California Ripe Olives and set aside. Coarsely chop remaining California Ripe Olives and place into a medium sized mixing bowl. Add yogurt, green onions, tahini and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Cover, refrigerate and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, paprika, oregano and remaining salt.
- Place lamb, peppers, onions and 24 reserved California Ripe Olives in bowl and toss to coat evenly. Cover, refrigerate and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Soak 8 (12-inch) wooden skewers in warm water for 15 minutes.
- Thread each skewer with a piece of lamb, green pepper, red onion and California Ripe Olive. Repeat pattern twice until all skewers are full.
- Grill over medium high heat for 6 to 8 minutes, turning as needed. Heat pita rounds over grill for 30 seconds on each side.
- Slice pitas in half and slather insides with California Ripe Olive and tahini mixture. Slide cooked meat and vegetables from one skewer into each pita half.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Ripe Olives.