Party Sandwich Loaf
A terrific, make-ahead party sandwich that is served chilled.
1 small round loaf Italian bread, unsliced
2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 cup finely cooked ham
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Wisconsin Cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
Salt to taste
2 ripe avocados, mashed
2 tablespoons French Dressing
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
Half-and-half cream as needed
6 olives, pimento stuffed for garnish (optional)
Parsley for garnish (optional)
- Cut bread loaf crosswise into 4 thick slices.
- Spread each slice with butter.
- Combine ham and celery with enough mayonnaise to moisten. Spread on bottom layer.
- Top with second slice of bread.
- Combine eggs, cheddar cheese, chili powder and salt with enough mayonnaise to moisten. Spread on second layer and cover with tomato slices.
- Place third slice of bread on tomatoes.
- Combine mashed avocados and French Dressing, spread on third layer of bread and cover with top slice.
- Combine cream cheese with enough cream to thin to spreading consistency; beat until smooth. Spread top and sides of loaf with mixture.
- Garnish with olive slices and parsley, if desired. Chill well.
- Cut into 12 wedges for serving.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.