Yum Yum Veggie Sliders with California Raisins
Just one bite and you'll understand why these nutrition-loaded veggie sliders are called "yum yum"!
1/2 cup quinoa, cooked and cooled (optional)
1 (16-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 small sweet red pepper, diced small (about 1/3 cup)
1/2 small onion, diced small (about 1/3 cup)
1 stalk celery, diced small (about 1/3 cup)
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/3 cup California raisins, chopped fine
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
12 small whole wheat rolls
- If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375°F (190°C) and lightly oil a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork or potato masher until thick and pasty.
- In a small bowl, mix diced pepper, onion, celery and garlic with raisins; turn into bowl with mashed beans and stir all together.
- In another small bowl, stir together egg, salt, chili powder, chipotle powder, and cumin. Stir egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs and quinoa until mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into small patties.
- To cook on the grill, arrange patties in single layer on lightly oiled aluminum foil, and grill 8 minutes on each side; until cooked and hot clear through. If baking in oven, place patties on greased or oiled baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.
- Place patties on whole wheat rolls with avocado, lettuce, tomato and cilantro.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe; 1 (2-ounce) patty): Calories: 170; Total Fat: 2g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 20mg; Total Carbs: 31g; Fiber: 6g; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 7g; Sodium: 240mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Raisin Marketing Board.