Barbecue Lemony Sauce
Even with its laundry list of ingredients, this sauce pairs well with pork, ham and poultry.
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 pound bacon, chopped
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups chili sauce
1 cup honey
3/4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons grated orange zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon liquid hot pepper sauce
4 tablespoons butter
- In a small bowl mix together seasonings pepper, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, white pepper, and cayenne pepper, set aside.
- In a saucepan fry chopped bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Stir in chopped onions and cook until golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the spice mixture and cook about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth, chili sauce, honey, chopped toasted pecans, orange juice, orange zest, lemon juice, lemon zest, minced garlic, and liquid hot pepper sauce. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add butter and stir until melted.
- Remove from the heat and cool about 30 minutes.
- Pour into a food processor or blender and process until smooth, about 10 to 15 seconds.
Makes 10 servings.