Green Tomato Chow Chow
Give foods extra zip with this peppery concoction. Use as you would a relish or chutney.
1 dozen green tomatoes, cored and quartered
3 medium green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
3 medium red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
3 medium yellow peppers, seeded and chopped
3 medium onions, peeled and quartered
1 cup fresh jalapeños, stemmed and chopped
3 cups distilled white vinegar
1 cup water
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup salt
1 1/2 teaspoons whole allspice
1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
1 1/2 teaspoons celery seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons whole black pepper corns
- In a food processor, fitted with a metal blade, pulse the tomatoes about 10 times. Pour the tomatoes into a large non-aluminum saucepan.
- Add the peppers, onions, and jalapeño to the processor and pulse the vegetables about 10 times.
- Add the mixture to the tomatoes. Stir in the pickling liquid. Over high heat, bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and spoon into 6 (half-pint) sterilized preserving jars, filling the mixture to within 1/2-inch of the top. With a clean damp towel, wipe the rim and fit with a hot lid. Tightly screw on the metal ring.
- Process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes. Using tongs, remove the jars, place on a towel, and let cool. Test the seals. Tighten the rings. Store in a cool dark place. Let age for 2 weeks before serving.
- For Pickling Liquid: Place all of the ingredients in a non-aluminum saucepan, over high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool completely. Strain the liquid and store in an airtight container. Makes about 1 quart.
Makes 6 half-pints.