Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
Homemade, spicy-hot pickled cauliflower.
Hot Pickled Cauliflower
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled, halved,
and lightly crushed
- 10 to 12 small dried hot red chilies,
broken into halves
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots
- 3 medium onions
- 2 medium green bell peppers
- 2 large heads cauliflower
- 6 1/4 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup coarse salt
- Place a half-clove of garlic, a fourth
of the dried chilies, and 3/4 teaspoon of the pickling spice
into four 1-quart canning jars.
- Cut carrots in half lengthwise, then cut
crosswise into 2-inch pieces.
- Cut onions into 1-inch squares.
- Seed bell peppers and cut into 1-inch
- Break cauliflower into flowerets.
- Divide carrots, onions, bell peppers,
and cauliflower equally among jars, packing tightly.
- In a medium-size pan, bring water, vinegar,
and salt to a boil over high heat; then pour evenly over vegetables.
Put lids on jars and let cool.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 weeks before
serving. The pickled mixture will keep in the refrigerator almost
Makes about 4 quarts.