Hot Pickled Cauliflower
Homemade, spicy-hot pickled cauliflower.
2 large garlic cloves, peeled, halved, and lightly crushed
10 to 12 small dried hot red chilies, broken into halves
1 tablespoon pickling spice
1 1/2 pounds carrots
3 medium onions
2 medium green bell peppers
2 large heads cauliflower
6 1/4 cups water
2 1/2 cups white wine vinegar
1/4 cup kosher salt
- Place a half-clove of garlic, a fourth of the dried chilies, and 3/4 teaspoon of the pickling spice into four 1-quart canning jars.
- Cut carrots in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces.
- Cut onions into 1-inch squares.
- Seed bell peppers and cut into 1-inch squares.
- Break cauliflower into florets
- Divide carrots, onions, bell peppers, and cauliflower equally among jars, packing tightly.
- In a medium-size pan, bring water, vinegar, and salt to a boil over high heat; then pour evenly over vegetables. Put lids on jars and let cool.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 weeks before serving. The pickled mixture will keep in the refrigerator almost indefinitely.
Makes about 4 quarts.