Southwest Salsa Bowl
Recipe courtesy of the National Watermelon Promotion Board.
Fire and Ice Salsa:
3 cups seeded and chopped watermelon
1/2 cup green peppers
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon green onion
1 to 2 tablespoon jalapeño peppers
Southwest Salsa Bowl:
1 round seedless watermelon
Dry erase marker
Utility knife or carving knife
Ice cream scoop or other large spoon
Accompaniments and Garnishes: tortilla chips, jalapeños, cilantro and lime
- For Fire and Ice Salsa: Combine ingredients for salsa; mix well and cover. Refrigerate 1 hour or more. Makes 3
- For Southwest Salsa Bowl: Choose a round seedless watermelon.
- Wash the watermelon and pat dry.
- Use a dry erase marker to trace the design around the middle of the watermelon.
- Use a utility knife to carve the design.
- Split watermelon in half, and use a scoop to carve out flesh.
- Choose a flat area of rind on the other watermelon half to trace and carve out a lizard design. (optional)
- Fill bowl with Fire and Ice salsa
- Garnish with chips, jalapeños, cilantro, and lime.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Watermelon Promotion Board.