Spiced Tomato Jam
This aromatic-spiced, sweet tomato jam is wonderful spread on hot biscuits, or pair it with cream cheese and crackers for an delicious appetizer.
2 1/4 pounds ripe tomatoes
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
Grated peel of 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 (2-ounce) package powdered pectin
4 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- Peel and core tomatoes and chop. Use food processor if available.
- Place tomatoes in a saucepan, bring to a boil and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Measure 3 cups tomato pulp into a heavy 6 to 8-quart pan. Add lemon juice, lemon peel, the spices and pectin, mixing well.
- Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring occasionally. Add sugar all at once. Bring to a full rolling boil again. Boil for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove pan from heat. Pour mixture into hot, sterilized jars and seal. Be sure to leave 1/2-inch head space before sealing.
Makes about 8 cups or half-pints.