Sweet-Pickled Green Beans
Your family and friends will love these pickled, crisp-tender sweet dilly beans.
1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium red bell (sweet) pepper, seeded and chopped
3 teaspoons pickling spice
3 teaspoons black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 garlic clove, crushed
4 cups white wine vinegar
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
4 sprigs of dill
- Wash and cut green beans to 3-inch lengths.
- Place green beans in a steamer over boiling water, cover, and cook until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately plunge beans into a large bowl or pan of ice water. Drain well.
- Create a bouquet garni* with the pickling spice, peppercorns, sugar, bay leaf and garlic. Place in a large saucepan along with the vinegar and sugar. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat, reduce to low heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow seasoned vinegar to cool to room temperature. Remove bouquet garni.
- Pack the beans upright into four hot, sterilized pint jars. Combine the chopped onion and bell pepper together and spoon atop the green beans. Add 2 sprigs of dill to each jar, and pour over the seasoned vinegar mixture over the vegetables to cover.
- Seal jars with sterilized lids and rings and store in a cool dark place for at least 2 weeks, to allow flavors to develop.
Makes 4 pints.
*A combination of herbs tied in cheese-cloth which are used to flavor stocks and stews and removed before serving. A paper coffee filter can also be used to tie the herbs up.