Scraping up the flavorful browned bits of turkey and using some of the drippings left in the roasting pan make this wine-flavored gravy extra delicious.
3 sprigs fresh thyme
3 bay leaves
2 large fresh parsley stems (1 cup)
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
Wing tips, giblets, and neck of turkey (but not the liver)
2 large carrots, cut into chunks
2 large stalks celery, cut into chunks
4-1/2 cups cold water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- For the bouquet garni, place thyme sprigs, bay leaves, and parsley stems in the center of a double-thick, 8-inch square of 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth. Bring the corners of the cheesecloth together and tie with clean string.
- Place the bouquet garni; onion; wing tips, giblets, and neck; carrot; celery; and water in a large saucepan. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, very gently for 1 1/2 hours while the turkey is roasting. Cool for 1 hour.
- Remove wing tips, giblets, neck, and bouquet garni from the stock; discard. Place the vegetables and cooled stock in a blender container or food processor bowl. Cover and blend or process until nearly smooth (you should have about 2 3/4 cups).
- The ideal time to prepare the gravy is while the turkey is standing after being removed from the oven. Place the turkey on a cutting board, preferably one with a ridge to collect the juices. Skim fat from drippings; reserve 3 tablespoons of the fat in roasting pan. While the pan is still hot, pour the pureed stock into the 3 tablespoons fat, scraping all the bits and pieces off the roasting pan with a large wooden spoon or spatula.
- Mix cornstarch with cold wine until dissolved. Add all at once to the pureed mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Makes about 3 cups (14 servings).
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/14 of recipe): calories: 33, total fat: 3g, saturated fat: 1g, cholesterol: 3mg, sodium: 53mg, carbohydrate: 3g, fiber: 1g, protein: 0g, vitamin A: 44%
Recipe and photograph provided by Better Homes and Gardens - BHG.com a member of the Home and Family Network for the best of cooking, gardening, decorating and more. © 2003 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.