Ahi Tuna on Mushrooms with Raisin Cream
Serve as an elegant appetizer for entertaining or as a light meal.
Golden Raisin-Ginger Cream:
4 ounces California golden raisins
2 ounces garlic cloves, peeled
8 ounces red jalapeños (about 12 chiles)
2 cups mayonnaise (8 ounces)
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons candied ginger*
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sesame seed oil (optional)
4 sashimi grade tuna steaks, cut 1/2-inch thick (about 8 ounces each)
12 Royal Trumpet mushrooms
Coarse sea salt, for garnish
Micro cilantro or small cilantro leaves, for garnish
- For Golden Raisin-Ginger Cream: Combine raisins and garlic in small saucepot. Cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until raisins are plump and garlic cloves are very tender. Drain and set aside.
- Char, peel and seed jalapeños. In food processor, combine raisins and garlic with jalapeños, mayonnaise, buttermilk, ginger, lime juice, salt and oil. Process until very smooth. Makes 2 1/2 cups. Chill.
- Lightly season tuna steaks with sea salt. Sear to rare (145°F | 62.7°C) in very hot skillet. Cool to room temperature. Slice thin. Set aside.
- Slice mushrooms, lengthwise, 1/4-inch thick. Arrange slices of mushrooms In single layer on serving tray
- Arrange a slice of tuna on each. Top with a dollop of Golden Raisin-Ginger Cream and sprinkle with sea salt and cilantro leaves.
Makes 32 appetizer servings.
*The brand Perfect Purée Candied Ginger is preferred.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/32 of recipe): Calories: 70; Total Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 15mg; Total Carbs: 6g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 7g; Sodium: 95mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Raisin Marketing Board.