Alaska Keta Salmon with Spring Vegetable-Bread Stuffing
Recipe includes both grilling and oven roasting methods.
1 whole Alaska Keta Salmon (dressed), fresh or thawed
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1/2 of a lemon
1 (6-ounce) box herb-flavored stuffing mix
1/2 cup hot water
1/4 cup crisp, crumbled bacon or pancetta
3 tablespoons reserved bacon drippings or olive oil - divided use
1 medium leek, white and light part only, halved lengthwise, then sliced (about 1 cup)
1/2 of a small peeled celery root*, cut in 1/2-inch dice (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons lemon zest
12 to 16 ounces fresh asparagus, trim medium and cut in 2-inch pieces
- Remove Alaska Keta Salmon from refrigerator 15 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat (400°F | 205°C).
- Cut 2 pieces of aluminum foil large enough to wrap around salmon lengthwise. Stack the foil sheets (shiny side down) on a baking sheet.
- Stir together stuffing mix, water and bacon in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoon bacon drippings (or olive oil) to a large frying pan. Stir in leeks and celery root; sauté 3 to 5 minutes, until leeks are softened. Transfer cooked vegetables, parsley, zest and asparagus to stuffing mix; stir to combine.
- Rinse salmon under cold water, thoroughly rinsing belly cavity; pat dry with paper towel. Place salmon on foil sheets. Brush or rub remaining drippings/oil on both sides of the salmon; season with salt and pepper. Cut 3 to 4 slits, crosswise, into the skin of the salmon, deep enough to almost reach the bone. Loosely stuff salmon cavity with 1/2 to 3/4 of stuffing mixture, allowing remaining stuffing to set on the foil around the belly of the fish. Squeeze lemon juice onto fish. Bring foil ends up and crimp to close (leave room for heat circulation inside), forming a sealed packet.
- Carefully transfer the foil packet to the center of the preheated grill. Close grill cover and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, cooking just until salmon is opaque throughout. Remove from the grill and let rest a few minutes before serving.
- Serve salmon with stuffing.
Makes 8 servings.
*1 cup of diced celery may be substituted for celery root.
Oven Method: Roast in an oven preheated to 400°F (205°C), cooking 25-35 minutes, just until fish is opaque throughout. Be sure to let the salmon rest a few minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 412; Total Fat: 12g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 218mg; Total Carbs: 11g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 63g; Sodium: 265mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute.