Baked Tuna Noodle Casserole
Tuna noodle casserole is classic, old-fashioned comfort food. Canned tuna, sautéed chopped onions and bell pepper, sliced mushrooms and tender egg noodles are layered in a creamy white sauce and topped with crushed potato chips.
1 (12-ounce) package egg noodles
1/4 cup butter
1 medium onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups milk
1 (12.5-ounce) can tuna, drained
1 (7-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup cracker or potato chip crumbs
- Grease 13x9x2-inch baking dish; set aside.
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Melt butter in medium-sized saucepan; add onion, celery and green pepper. Cook until vegetables have softened. Add flour and continue to cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk; bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add the tuna, mushrooms, dill weed, salt and pepper, gently stirring to mix.
- Place half the cooked noodles in prepared baking dish. Spoon on half the tuna mixture and top with 1 cup cheese. Repeat with remaining half of ingredients in same order. Top with the crumbs.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F 175°C for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Makes 6 servings.