Baked Crab Cakes
These crab cakes are baked in custard cups for a lighter, softer texture. Serve them as a first course or double them up for a light lunch entrée.
3 large eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups crab meat, flaked
1 cup crushed saltine crackers
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon minced green bell pepper
1 teaspoon minced celery
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease 8 custard cups; set aside.
- In a medium bowl beat egg yolks. Add crab, crackers, butter, lemon juice, bell pepper and celery; blend thoroughly.
- In another bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into crab mixture.
- Spoon mixture into custard cups. Set cups in a baking pan filled with hot water and bake for 25 minutes or until set.
- Serve with a flavored mayonnaise or aïoli sauce.
Makes 8 servings.