Baked Fish Creole
A Creole-seasoned vegetable sauce melds flavors with orange roughy in this Bayou-style country dish.
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup chopped peeled onion
1 tablespoon chopped seeded green bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup canned tomato sauce
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 whole bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups hot water
3 pounds orange roughy fillets*
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Melt butter over medium-low heat in large, heavy skillet; sauté onion, green pepper and garlic, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add flour and mix well; continue cooking, stirring often, until flour has browned a bit, about 1 minute.
- Add tomato sauce, parsley, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in hot water. Cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Arrange fish in shallow baking pan; cover with sauce.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf prior to serving.
Makes 6 servings.
*Any firm-fleshed white fish can be substituted for orange roughy in this recipe.