Barbecued Herring with Fresh Fruit
Recipe courtesy of Seafish, the UK Sea Fish Industry Authority.
4 herring, cleaned
Grated rind and juice of 2 oranges
4 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat the barbecue (or grill).
- Cut 3 slits in each side of the herring. Lay the fish in a shallow dish.
- Mix together the marinade ingredients and pour over the fish. Cover and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for approximately 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the bananas and apples into chunks, sprinkle with lemon juice and thread alternately onto skewers.
- Place the fish on the barbecue and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, turning if necessary. Baste with the excess marinade.
- Cook the fruit skewers for 5 minutes until just golden, basting with the marinade, if necessary.
- Serve the herring with the fruit skewers.
Makes 4 servings.
"From sea to plate, Seafish delivers expert knowledge, skills and support which help the UK seafood industry secure a sustainable and profitable future."
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Seafish, the UK Sea Fish Industry Authority www.seafish.org.