Black Thai Grilled Alaska Cod Tacos
Recipe courtesy of Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute.
1/2 cup Mexican crema (sour cream or mayonnaise)
2 teaspoons sambal or sriracha hot chili sauce
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1 1/2 pounds Alaska Cod fillets, fresh or frozen
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
1 tablespoon sambal or sriracha hot chili sauce
2 tablespoons palm sugar or brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup canola oil
1 cup peeled and shredded green papaya
1 cup finely shredded Napa cabbage
1 Roma tomato, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
1/3 cup finely shredded carrots
1/4 cup snipped cilantro leaves
3 tablespoons slivered mint leaves
8 small (6-inch) corn tortillas, warmed
- For Sambal Crema: Whisk together crema, sambal and lime juice. Refrigerate until serving.
- For Cod: Place Alaska Cod fillets in shallow glass dish. Whisk together lime juice, vinegar, fish sauce, sambal, sugar and oil. Pour half the mixture over fish and reserve remaining for slaw. Let fish marinate 15 minutes
- For Slaw: Combine green papaya, cabbage, tomato, carrot, cilantro and mint. Toss with reserved dressing until combined.
- Preheat grill or stovetop grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Remove fish from marinade and grill until barely done, 2 to 5 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Cook just until fish is opaque throughout. Remove fillets from grill and break into large chunks.
- To Serve: Line each tortilla with Green Papaya Slaw. Top with chunks of fish and drizzle with Sambal Crema. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe: 2 tacos): Calories: 569; Total Fat: 27g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 83mg; Total Carbs: 45g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 35g; Sodium: 1394mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute.