Delta Catfish Cakes with Comeback Sauce
Recipe courtesy of Chef David Ferris, Giardina's in Greenwood, Michigan.
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons chile sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste
1 pound U.S. Farm-Raised catfish fillets
Salt and ground black pepper
1/4 cup mayonnaise or Aïoli
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
2 tablespoons finely chopped red bell pepper
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- For Comeback Sauce: In a blender container, combine all ingredients and blend until smooth; refrigerate until ready to serve. Makes about 1 cup.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Season catfish fillets with salt and black pepper.
- On an oiled rack in a roasted pan, arrange fish; bake until cooked through, about 10 minutes; cool.
- Crumble fillets into a large bowl. Add aïoli (or mayonnaise), bread crumbs, onion, bell pepper, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, cumin, coriander and basil; mix well.
- Form mixture into 6 cakes (about 2 ounces each); cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Dredge catfish cakes in flour; fry until hot, 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Serve catfish cakes with Comeback Sauce and, if desired, baby greens.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Catfish Institute.