Eggland's Best Crab Soufflé
This delicious crab soufflé is so impressive, it will have your family and guests thinking you were trained in classic French cuisine.
1 green onion, minced
3 tablespoons butter
2 cups crab meat, fresh
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 cups milk, warmed
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
3 Eggland's Best egg yolks, beaten
4 Eggland's Best egg whites
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Set rack on lowest level of oven and preheat to 400°F (205°C). Butter and flour a 2-quart soufflé dish or a 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. If using a soufflé dish, extend the height of the dish with 4-inch wide collar made from folded strip of aluminum foil tied around the dish. Also butter and flour foil.
- In a medium skillet, cook green onion in 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat, about 1 minute just to soften. Add crab meat and cook, stirring 1 to 2 minutes. Layer in bottom of prepared dish.
- In a medium saucepan, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. When foamy, add flour and cook, stirring 1 minute. Blend in tomato paste. Gradually whisk in warm milk. Bring to a boil, whisking until sauce is thickened and smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with cayenne and salt. Remove from heat and whisk in beaten egg yolks. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tarter to stiff peaks. Fold sauce into whites with gentle wide strokes. Pour over crab meat.
- Place dish in oven and immediately reduce heat to 275°F (135°C). Bake 25 minutes, until soufflé is puffed and golden on top and slightly jiggly in center.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories 230, Fat 13g (31% calories from fat), Cholesterol 189mg, Sodium 803mg, Total Carbohydrate 8g, Dietary Fiber 0g, Protein 19g.
Recipe and photograph provided by Eggland's Best, Inc. via Brandpoint Content; Copyright 1996-2014.