Fish Cakes with Thai Salsa
Tasty, crisp-fried fish cakes served with a spicy Thai-style gingered tomato salsa.
2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with garlic and onion
3/4 cup sliced green onions - divided use
1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2/3 cup chopped cilantro
2 pounds halibut, salmon, or snapper, cooked and flaked
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs, Italian seasoned
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 to 2 tablespoon butter
- Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid.
- In skillet, combine tomatoes with 1/2 cup onions, gingerroot, red pepper and reserved liquid. Cook uncovered over high heat until thickened, stirring occasionally. Add cilantro; cool.
- In bowl, combine fish, eggs, crumbs, mayonnaise, remaining onions and 1/3 cup tomato salsa mixture. Season with pepper, if desired. Form into 16 patties.
- In preheated skillet, cook in butter over medium-low heat about 3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Serve over salad greens, if desired. Top with salsa and drizzle with sesame oil, if desired.
Makes 16 fish cakes.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Canned Food Alliance.